Saturday, July 16, 2016

The Ridge Walk




 Today we went on a very, very long hike (10 miles). I enjoyed looking and taking pictures of the beautiful country side. Before the hike I chose to wear my Keen Mary Janes instead of socks and tennis shoes. That was not smart. I ended up getting really bad blisters. I also made a bad decision of not wearing sunscreen, so now I have a sunburn :(. Thankfully at the very end of the hike when everyone was about to give up God gave us a ride back to Kapsowar in an empty matatu. Even though the walk was a little tough at times, we still had a great time as a family.
-Annie

We had a rough start to the day with our oldest 3 struggling to co-exist. Mom and Dad spent some time admonishing, counseling and strongly suggesting a change in behavior. Christine picked Psalm 147 to read and discuss as a family and this helped refocus our purpose and position in this world. We had a great hike that almost never happened. I didn't tell anyone that the hike was 10 miles long. Instead I said we would hike for around 3 hours and everyone was satisfied with this. It was a long tough hike at an elevation of 8000 feet with steep climbs. Everyone toughed it out especially Ellie who had some mild altitude sickness. I was proud of them all. The scenery was beautiful with the highlight seeing the expanse of the Kerio Valley 3000 feet below us. The valley is off in the distance in the picture above us. The pic does not do it justice. Tomorrow I will run the same route with a local  missionary who is training for a marathon. I am sore after carrying Josef for 10 miles today. I hope I make it. We are thankful for the challenges, trials and rewards of the day.

Psalm 147:7-8
"Sing to the Lord with thanksgiving;
Sing praises to our God on the lyre,
Who covers the heavens with clouds,
Who provides rain for the earth,
Who makes grass grow on the mountains."

Love you all,
Jeremy

No comments:

Post a Comment